Monthly Archives: July 2012
Tons of on-lookers, groupies, families and freaks gathered together today to witness legendary rocker Slash honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in front of the Hard Rock Cafe on Hollywood Boulevard on Tuesday July 10, 2012. This makes Slash the first Guns N’ Roses band member to receive this honor and it is the 2,473rd star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!
Charlie Sheen, a close friend of Slash, was there to pay tribute to the rocker and to poke some fun at Guns N’ Roses front man Axl Rose. Charlie Sheen said to the audience “It’s quite fitting that Slash is getting a star on the very street Axl Rose will one day be sleeping on… This star is going to be stepped on more than the coke we did in the ’80s.”
As much fun as it was standing in the 100 degree weather watching Slash and Charlie shoot the shit, I was waiting in anticipation for the KLOS after party inside the Hard Rock Hotel! This is where the fun began! Slash played an acoustic set with Myles Kennedy who is now the front man for Slash’s solo tour! Kennedy’s voice was amazing! Very rock n roll! The dynamic duo played a couple Velvet Revolver songs and a couple GNR songs. Surprise guest Steven Adler (former GNR drummer) hopped on stage to sing along to “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” Everyone was digging it! The crowd was clapping and singing along to the lyrics.
After their set you would have thought they were finished and it would have been time to go home, but no way, Slash was feeling extra generous today and surprised the crowd with an unofficial meet and greet. I was super excited and wish I knew before hand so I could have brought a GNR CD cover or something. Instead I whipped out my suede wallet and had Slash and Myle’s Kennedy sign that! Good enough for now. I am sure I will meet Slash again one day and I will be prepared!
Today was a great day in Rock N Roll history! -Raquel
The new RUSH album ‘Clockwork Angels’ was released last month and METAL SHOP received a copy from our friends at Roadrunner Records. This is the band’s 19th studio album and it debuted at #2 on the Billboard USA Charts when it was released June 12th.
Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart have put together an album that has to be some of their best work. ‘Clockwork Angels’ is a return to the early sound of Rush with more heavy guitar and less synthesizer. It sounds like they stripped down all the extra sounds and equipment and just went with the basics of guitar, bass and drums.
After 30 years in the music industry, RUSH may have recaptured the magic with this new record that brought them success at their peak in the 70′s and 80′s. Maybe the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame will get their heads out of their asses and induct RUSH. You will not be disappointed with ‘Clockwork Angels’ and if you have thought about seeing them live in concert, you have your chance this year as a new tour starts in September.
- “Caravan” 5:40
- “BU2B” 5:10
- “Clockwork Angels” 7:31
- “The Anarchist” 6:52
- “Carnies” 4:52
- “Halo Effect” 3:14
- “Seven Cities of Gold” 6:32
- “The Wreckers” 5:01
- “Headlong Flight” 7:20
- “BU2B2″ 1:28
- “Wish Them Well” 5:25
- “The Garden” 6:59
RUSH 2012 Tour Dates:
- 09/07 – Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena
- 09/09 – Washington, DC @ Jiffy Lube Live
- 09/11 – Pittsburgh, PA @ CONSOL Energy Center
- 09/13 – Indianapolis, IN @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- 09/15 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
- 09/18 – Detroit, MI @ Palace of Auburn Hills
- 09/20 – Columbus, OH @ Nationwide Arena
- 09/22 – St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center
- 09/24 – Minneapolis, MN @ Target Center
- 09/26 – Winnipeg, MB @ MTS Center
- 09/30 – Edmonton, AB @ Rexall Place
- 10/10 – Bridgeport, CT @ Webster Bank Arena
- 10/12 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center
- 10/14 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Center
- 10/18 – Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
- 10/20 – Newark, NJ @ Prudential Center
- 10/22 – Brooklyn, NY @ Barclays Center
- 10/24 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
- 10/26 – Buffalo, NY @ First Niagara Garden
- 10/28 – Cleveland, OH @ Quicken Loans Arena
- 10/30 – Charlotte, NC @ Time Warner Cable Arena
- 11/01 – Atlanta, GA @ Verizon Wireless Ampitheater
- 11/03 – Tampa, FL @ 1-800-ASK-GARY Ampitheater
- 11/13 – Seattle, WA @ Key Arena
- 11/15 – San Jose, CA @ HP Pavilion
- 11/17 – Anaheim, CA @ Honda Center
- 11/19 – Los Angeles, CA @ Gibson Ampitheater
- 11/23 – Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand
- 11/25 – Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Center
- 11/28 – Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
- 11/30 – San Antonio, TX @ AT&T Center
- 12/02 – Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
Mayhem Festival 2012 featuring Slipknot, Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax, and eight other kick ass bands, hit the San Manuel Amphitheater in San Bernardino, California on June 30, 2012. METAL SHOP’s day began as we watched some of the opening bands such as White Chapel and Asking Alexandria, but our ‘mission for the day’ was ANTHRAX, MOTORHEAD and the mighty SLAYER!!!!!
Anthrax headlined the Jagermeister stage and played the classics (Indians, Madhouse, I Am The Law and more). Shadows Fall drummer Jason Bittner filled in for Charlie Benante (hand injury). Charlie is hoping to be back with the band in a week or so. The Anthrax set was short, but it rocked hard and had the crowd moshing all over the dust bowl.
As we were waiting for Motorhead, Jagermeister presented an award to a war veteran for his heroic acts of bravery in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, it would be the last photos of the night for me because my camera shutter took a shit and stopped working… But it didn’t stop us from enjoying a kick ass set by Motorhead. Lemmy, Phil and Micky Dee blasted through the catalog that included ‘Damage Case,’ ‘Ace of Spades’ (see video below) and ‘Overkill.’ Lemmy’s voice was strong and the band sounded awesome. It was also great to see all the young people seeing Motorhead for the first time and getting to know what real rock music is about!!!
Slayer took the stage next, opening with ‘Disciple.’ The Slayer stage was set-up with two Marshall stacks shaped like upside down crosses that shot out flames. They played a few older songs like ‘Die By The Sword’ and ‘Hell Awaits.’ Gary Holt is still playing with Slayer and will continue until Jeff Hanneman has recovered from a near-fatal spider bite he suffered last year.
In all, the festival was a success with attendance of 26,000+ Metal Heads!!!!! m/ Here are a few photos (Anthrax) and Video….Special thanks to Adrenalin PR for the hook up!!! Enjoy -Ralph Cartel